Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This greens-spiked version of mac and cheese gets its velvety richness from carrot purée rather than milk or cream.
1. Cook carrots in large saucepan of boiling salted water 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, then transfer carrots to blender using slotted spoon. Add 2/3 cup broth to blender. Cover, and blend carrots into smooth purée. Set aside.
2. Cook macaroni in saucepan of boiling water 6 minutes, or until just tender but still firm. Drain, and set aside.
3. Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add butter, and melt over medium-low heat. Add shallots, cover pan, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender but not brown. Add mustard greens, and cook 2 minutes to wilt slightly. Add 2 Tbs. broth, cover pan, and cook 4 minutes, or until greens are tender but still bright green, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Toss together cheese, flour, and cayenne in bowl. Bring remaining 1 cup broth and carrot purée to simmer in saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in cheese mixture. Simmer 3 minutes, or until sauce is thick and smooth, whisking constantly. Whisk in hot sauce, reduce heat to low, and stir in macaroni, then mustard greens. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 297
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 36 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 338 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g