Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This recipe, by Danielle Sanderson, was awarded “runner up” in VT’s 2014 Reader Recipe Contest. One of Danielle Sanderson’s favorite ways to spend a weekend afternoon is trying out new recipe ideas in the kitchen. “I really enjoy creating meatless versions of the traditional comfort foods I grew up on,” she says. “This recipe comes from my love of all things mushroom! The flavors work so well together, and it has become a real favorite with my family.” Serve as a starter for a Mediterranean-themed dinner, or pair it with
a fresh green salad and a glass of wine for a light meal.
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil and 1 tsp. butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half of mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 tsp. minced garlic, and sauté 3 minutes more. Stir in half of tomatoes, and transfer mixture to bowl. Repeat with 2 Tbs. oil and remaining butter, mushrooms, minced garlic, and tomatoes. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in small skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned and fragrant. Stir
4 tsp. pine nuts into cooled mushroom mixture.
3. Brush bread slices with remaining 3 Tbs. oil, rub with garlic halves, and place on baking sheet. Broil bread slices
2 minutes per side, or until toasted. Spread each slice with 11/2 tsp. mascarpone, then top with 3 Tbs. mushroom mixture. Drizzle with truffle oil, and sprinkle with basil and reserved pine nuts.
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 14 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 81 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g